Kirche St. Martin
Photo © Silke Faass
The village of Wrisbergholzen (current population 317) was first mentioned in a document in 1019 (Thiederikesholthusen or Dietrichholthusen). In an old file in the castle archives, it is mentioned in a document that Bishop Godehard had a church built, which was consecrated to St. Benedictus on 21 March 1029. At a later date the name was changed to St Martin’s Church. In 1278 Hermann von Wrisberg married the heiress daughter of Dietrich von Holthusen and the village was then called Wrisbergholzen. The present nave was added to the old tower in 1605. Today the tower is 45 metres high. The nave (26.50 x 11.00 metres and a height of 8.50 metres) During the renovation in 1903, citizens of Wrisbergholzen donated leaded stained glass windows. The baroque altar wall presents nine paintings. On the left side, scriptural prophets of the Old Testament, on the right side the evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. In the centre above the altar, a depiction of the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples. The altar wall is crowned by the Johann Georg Müller organ from 1704, which was extensively restored in 2009/2010. Under the count’s prieche on the north side we see 18 pictures with biblical passages alternately from the Old and New Testaments. The west porches were intended for visitors from the chapel parishes of Westfeld and Segeste.